The Feed Melbourne Appeal raises money to help charities collect, store, cook and provide food to people in need. The Feed Melbourne Appeal does not collect food donations, but our partner, food charity FareShare does.
It is perfectly legal to donate food that’s in good condition to charities. In the early 2000’s Melbourne FareShare successfully lobbied the State Government to have Australia’s first Good Samaritan law introduced to protect food donors
Please read the information below before contacting FareShare about donating your surplus food.
FareShare accepts donations of unopened shelf stable products that are within “use-by” or no more than 6 months past “best before” dates. The most useful items are pasta, rice, tinned goods, breakfast cereals and UHT milk,
Unfortunately FareShare cannot cook or pass on home-cooked food or take refrigerated food that is past “best before” date. Refrigerated food can only be accepted if stored and maintained at between 0 and 5 degrees.
FareShare is open from 8am to 9.30pm Monday to Friday for drop offs and can collect large food donations.
Please contact Kellie Watson at FareShare for details. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Caterers, private and corporate
Unfortunately FareShare cannot take any of the following:
• Food that has been left in a bain-marie
• Cooked food that has not been part of a cook-chill process
• Foods that have been served to the public on a buffet and/or unwrapped and exposed
• High risk food that has been on display/offer and has been out of the cool room/refrigerator for more than 2 hours
• Sandwich/bread products – however we can try to link you with a local charity for direct delivery or collection
• Sausages from sausage sizzles where the sausages have been stored in ‘eskies’ or cool boxes.
FareShare accepts bulk donations of food to cook meals. This includes:
• Product close to “use by” date
• Product no more than eight months past “best before” date
• Products with damaged labels
• R&D products or finished/deleted product lines
• Sample size or bulk produce
• Products that fall outside the manufacturers specifications
• Over/underweight or mislabelled products
FareShare will collect donated products directly from you and has a fleet of 6 refrigerated vehicles.
We adhere to local and national food safety guidelines to ensure your donated food is received, stored, cooked, cooled and distributed in a safe condition.
For more information, please visit www.fareshare.net.au/giving-food or call Kellie Watson on 0438 560 893 or email email@example.com